from : http://docs.nexcess.net/article/how-to-install-vbulletin-version-5-0.html
How to install vBulletin v4.0 and v5 Connect
OverviewThis article describes how install vBulletin Version 4.0 or 5.0 on your Nexcess hosting service.
Downloading the vBulletin Package
- Navigate to the vBulletin website: http://www.vbulletin.com/en/purchases/.
- On the top menu bar, click the green PURCHASE button.
Figure 1. vBulletin 5 connect screen
3. Log in to your vBulletin account, and click Members link at the top of the page.
Figure 2. Welcome to vBulletin screen.
6. The purchase window displays; click the check box for version of of vBulletin for purchase.
Preparing the vBulletin package for transfer
- For Windows: Navigate to the location of your vBulletin download.
- Extract the contents of the zip file by right-clicking on the vBulletin zip file, then select Extract All….
- Once the file is extracted, it should display in a new folder which should be entitled vBulletin. Two files will display, do_not_upload and upload. Rename the upload folder and use it to upload to your Nexcess hosting service.
Figure 3. Renaming the upload folder screen.
For OS X: Locate the zip file on your local computer and double-click. The file will be extracted to the location of the zip file.
Configuring FTP credentials to transfer the vBulletin package
Attention: If you already have Nexcess FTP credentials, you may skip this section.
Figure 4. SiteWorx log in screen.
- With the credentials provided to you in your Nexcess Welcome Email, log in to your SiteWorx control panel.
- From the left side menu, click Hosting Features > FTP > Accounts.
3. In the Add an FTP Account fields, type the FTP Username, Password, and Confirm Password and then click Add.
Attention: Save these credentials for use later.
Connecting to your Nexcess hosting service via FTP
Note: If you do not have a preferred FTP client, read the article on working with Filezilla at http://docs.nexcess.net/article/setting-up-filezilla.html.
- Open your FTP client, then type the hostname username, and password that created earlier within SiteWorx.
Figure 6. FireZilla FTP log in screen.
2. In your local computer pane or the left side of your FTP client, locate the unzipped vBulletin package.
3. In the remote computer pane or the right side is your Nexcess server we just connected to. Navigate by clicking the appropriate folders to where you would like to install vBulletin.
4. Click and drag the vBulletin package from your local computer pane, to your Nexcess hosting account pane, and allow the package to transfer.
Modifying two FTP files
Attention: Before installing vBulletin two files need to be modified.
- In the main folder of your vBulletin installation, locate the file named config.php.bkp, right-click this file, and select Rename. Change the file's name to config.php.
- In your FTP client, navigate to /core/includes on your local computer side, and /core/includes on the remote server side.
3. On your local machine, locate the file config.php.new and right-click it. Select Rename and type config.php. Upload the renamed file to your Nexcess hosting account.
Configuring the Database
- Log in to your SiteWorx account, using the credentials provided to you in your Nexcess Welcome Email.
- From the left side menu, click Hosting Features > MySQL > Databases.
Figure 8. Hosting features log in screen.
- In the Database Name field type your name for the vBulletin database and click Create User.
- Type in a name for your database user. It is recommended this name be the same as the database, for the sake of consistency.
Figure 9. MySQL database management screen.
3. In the Password and Confirm Password fields, either type your own password, or click generate.
4. Nexcess recommends that you save your database credentials within an application such as LastPass or 1Password.
5. Verify all of the MySQL User Permissions check boxes are all selected, and click Add.
Configuring vBulletin to function with the database
- Navigate to your vBulletin instance and add /core/install/install.php to the end. For example, if your domain is example, and you are installing it in your /vb folder, you would navigate to http://example.test/vb/core/install/install.php.
- The vBulletin configuration builder screen will display. Type the database credentials created earlier. Unless otherwise stated, do not leave any of the fields blank and then click Create Files.
Figure 10. vBulletin 5 configuration builder screen.
3. A message will display notifying you that the file creation is complete.
4. Navigate to your vBulletin install, and access the /core/install folders. Locate and right-click the makeconfig.php file and select Delete.
Installing vBulletin on your instance
- Click reload and the vBulletin 5.0 installer displays; then click Begin Install.
Figure 11. Install vBulletin 5.0.5 screen.
2. An installer progress bar will immediately appear.
Figure 12. Installer progress bar screen.
3. As the installer runs, you will be prompted to type your forum name and webmaster email address in the General Settings field. The remaining settings should remain the same. Click OK.
Figure 13. General settings screen.
4. The Administrator Account Setup window displays. Type an administrator username, password, and an email address then click OK.
Figure 14. Administrator account setup screen.
5. After the install completes the following message will display:
Figure 15. Action required screen.
5. Click Go to Admin CP.
6. Before you can access your administrator control panel, delete the install.php file within the /install folder.
7. Navigate to your vBulletin instance, then the /install folder.
8. Locate and right-click the install.php file, and select Delete.
9. Reload your site.- See more at: http://docs.nexcess.net/article/how-to-install-vbulletin-version-5-0.html#sthash.EzARxCWC.dpuf